Tuesday, January 5, 2010

15 Weeks Post-Op

I was discharged from PT today!
Apparently 30 minutes to an hour of WiiFit and/or yoga every day helps enough that I could pass my reassessments, even in dim light, and I did well enough on their balance tester machine thing that Sandra felt okay to sign me out. It's bittersweet, as I really like PT and Sandra and Kernan hospital.. but when you're on the treadmill *running* next to an old guy trying to walk without his walker, it's time to admit that you're ready to go. The caveat being that I do need to keep up my homework and I'll likely never be completely 100%. Rough terrain and snow will probably always be somewhat of a problem I think. I plan on taking up hiking this spring to try to work on that.

It's funny to look back on when I started PT roughly 12 weeks ago. Matt drove me, and walked me up there, and I just remember saying "How do they expect us to find this place?! It's like a maze!" Matt was like "It's only one floor up and two right turns..." I felt so confused and unsteady and dizzy!

In other news, I don't have any other news. What I mean by that is, the neuro-psych scheduler I was waiting to hear from said they don't have any appointments until June/July (!!!), and the neurosurgeon I'm trying to go to for a second opinion won't even *schedule* me until my records arrive from Hopkins.
In the meantime, I'm making it my goal to get back to work come February. I'm working so hard, even if the disability group wants to make me feel like I'm not and I'm some sort of a waste.

Also, I thought I should clarify from my last post that the disability group is *not* part of my work, they are a separate company contracted out to handle this stuff. Everyone at my actual job has been great, and I feel really lucky to be working for the hospital I work for.

So right now I'm one more step towards "normalcy" (or at least fewer appointments on the calendar), but I still maintain this place of being stuck between a rock and a hard place while the medical world decides what to do with me. If they ever schedule my appointments that is..

Edit to add - I think the left corner of my mouth may have just moved the slightest bit!

No comments:

Post a Comment